Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Mimi and the cat


Copyright by Dominique Amendola


Painting A Day: Original oil on prepared oak plywood board with painted sides
Size: 9"x12"- unframed
Price: $199.00
Status: Available

And now for something completely different for my Daily paintings. This is a mix media piece with oils over acrylics. This is a new series in a more graphic style. I have done several paintings with an acrylic underpainting in the past. It is actually a very ancient process. The old masters used egg tempera before the Renaissance and gradually tried oils over a tempera underpainting. Finally they just used oils both for the under painting and the next layer during the Renaissance period. I did a painting with oils over egg tempera many years ago and I love the effects. You can see it at http://artdominiqueamendola.com/vedic_art/room_2/gopis_tamala.html. Today i just used acrylic paints. The acrylic underpainting dries very fast and I can apply the oils the next day. First I painted my design in a flat manner with no shadows and when I got to the oil layer I added the shadows and played with glazes over the flat areas. I believe there is more to come soon in that style on this blog.

No comments: