Saturday, September 6, 2008

Maria


Copyright by Dominique Amendola


Painting A Day: Original oil on hard Masonite canvas board
Size: 11"x14"- unframed
Price: $119.00
Status: Sold

This is an impressionist daily painting, executed rapidly, giving an impression of the figure. It is more difficult to paint on a white canvas than an already toned one. I usually tone my canvases with an ocher or gray tone. However, with a white canvas, the colors can come out more luminous. I painted on white canvas before and did not like it much, but this time i tried an off white canvas. The canvas was not pure white but was so light, that you could have called it white anyway, since it was slightly off white. Because I was painting a figure dressed in white, it allowed me to see the white of the dress on the canvas. With a white canvas, you can only go from dark back to light, but in this case, I was able to go lighter than the canvas_white, and the effect is that a certain quality of transparent tones is preserved.

No comments: