Friday, May 30, 2008

ME AND MY DOGGIE


Copyright by Dominique Amendola


Painting A Day: Original oil on canvas
Size: 8"x10"- unframed
Price: $199.00
Status: Sold

This painting a day might remind you of old happy days with your pet. I always like to evoke a story in my paintings. I am also always aware of contrasts and the play of dark and light. During the time of the renaissance they had a rule for "clair obscure" where 2/3 of the painting was dark and 1/3 light. You could almost say that this piece follows this rule. However, if I was a renaissance master artist, I would have all my darks in the brownish tones. Thanks to today's technology, the artist has so many colors at his disposition. I kept my darks cool while I worked my lights warm. I used very little earth colors for the darks. The challenge in this picture was the background. If I had painted it too warm, it would have jumped at the viewer. I wanted it more faded and cooler than the actual lights in the foreground. All together, the picture is coming out balanced and harmonious. And of course the message is simple and powerful.

No comments: