Friday, June 6, 2008

Monterey Port with boats and seals


Copyright by Dominique Amendola


Painting A Day: Original oil on canvas.
Size: 10"x8"- framed 14"x 12"
Price: 285.00
Status: Available

This new piece for my PAINTING A DAY, was painted on the side of the Monterey port on a pretty calm day while the seals were having quite a festival of water games. To execute a seascape, it is better not to set up on a windy day, otherwise the wind will pick up your easel and throw it around. Sometimes your entire set up ends up in the waters you are trying to paint. Not exactly what you had in mind when you are trying to make a realistic piece of art! Since the sun is usually more ferocious on the days with less wind, it is better to use an umbrella. In this case, I did not want to take a chance and I sat there without any protection for many hours. But I know other tricks for sun protection such as a large hat and a silk shirt with long sleeves. This can be quite effective. Silk is cool in summer and warm in winter, quite an amazing cloth. I certainly love painting in plein air and I hope you will appreciate this new painting.

No comments: